The Princess Theatre opened her doors in 1912 as a vaudeville house bringing a new world of entertainment to the citizens of northeast Louisiana. In 1925, silent movies flickered on her screen while a hired pianist brought the films to life. The Princess Theatre grew and changed alongside the community. She entertained generations of Franklin Parish residents until 1988, when her owners decided the Princess could no longer compete with the newly popular multiplexes. The Princess lay dormant and shuttered until 1992, when Rowena Ramage, the owner of the building that housed the Princess Theatre, generously gifted it to the citizens of Winnsboro. The Princess re-opened in 1994, and since then thousands have walked through the same doors as their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents, experiencing the magic of the Princess for themselves. If you haven't visited this turn-of-the century, liveperformance venue, now is a great time to re-acquaint yourself with the Princess Theatre.
Programs of the Princess Theatre are supported by a grant from The Louisiana Division of the Arts, Office of Cultural Development, Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism in cooperation with the Louisiana State Arts Council as administered by the Northeast Louisiana Arts Council.