The Princess Theatre opened her doors in 1912 as a vaudeville house bringing a new world of entertainment to the citizens of northeast Louisiana. In 1925, silent movies flickered on her screen while a hired pianist brought the films to life. The Princess Theatre grew and changed alongside the community. She entertained generations of Franklin Parish residents until 1988, when her owners decided the Princess could no longer compete with the newly popular multiplexes.
The Princess lay dormant and shuttered until 1992, when Rowena Ramage, the owner of the building that housed the Princess Theatre, generously gifted it to the citizens of Winnsboro. The Princess re-opened in 1994, and since then thousands have walked through the same doors as their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents, experiencing the magic of the Princess for themselves.
If you haven’t visited this turn-of-the century, live performance venue, now is a great time to re-acquaint yourself with the Princess Theatre.
In May 2002, the Governor’s Arts Award program released the following statement:
The Princess Theatre is an inspiring example of what can happen when a community believes in itself and the value of the arts to quality of life. The theatre has contributed substantially to the life and economy of Winnsboro and Franklin Parish. The restoration of the turn-of-the-century Princess Theatre to a live performance venue was the catalyst for the development of historic downtown Winnsboro. Further, the theatre’s programs include a full series offering international, national, and local performances as well as a coffee house series that is free to the community. The Princess functions as both a performing arts venue and a forum for educational programming; it has transformed cultural opportunities in Northeast Louisiana and continues to be a model for success throughout the region.